What’s the illusion, you ask? Those two vertical lozenge-shapes are the same shade!
Don’t believe me? Good! It’s always best to check things like this out for yourself. One way is to put your finger across the middle, blocking the part where they meet. When you do that, boom! You can see they’re the same shade of grey.
via Phil Plait: Optical illusion: Shades of grey..
I think it’s important to be aware of illusions like this. It should serve as one of many reminders that our intuitions, outside of every day life, are not to be trusted. They can betray us. So, when considering scientific propositions, remember that even if it feels intuitively wrong, evidence should trump that intuition.
- Noodle twisters #21 Optical Illusions (noodletwisters.wordpress.com)
- ‘Artistic’ Optical illusions (pinchofillusion.wordpress.com)
- Optical illusion of the day (boingboing.net)
- Elephant Legs Optical Illusion (moillusions.com)
- Introduction to optical illusion – Can you trust your eyes? (pinchofillusion.wordpress.com)