Philosopher Anders Sandberg does not accept death as a foregone conclusion. According to him it will become possible this century to upload your mind into a computer. He is a member of a small group that calls itself the transhumanists. TRANSHUMAN is a short documentary film by director Titus Nachbauer. It is about radical life extension and future technology that might change the human condition.
Somewhat along the lines of my post this morning on singularity assumptions, this documentary on a few transhumanists is interesting, although the pacing is a bit pokey. These folks are a bit more grounded, although Sandberg implicitly made the second assumption I questioned, about having unlimited processing capacity.
Indeed, I think it’s possible to be a transhumanist, believing in humanity taking control of its own evolution, without necessarily being a singulatarian in the sense of believing in an imminent sudden rapture like event.
- Transhumanism 101: Defying Human Nature One Cyborg Limb at a Time (breitbart.com)
- Transhumanism Will Change Everything (embargozone.com)
- Transhumanism Will Change Everything (sorendreier.com)
- Transhumanism 101: Defying Human Nature One Cyborg Limb at a Time (activistposter.wordpress.com)
- Transhuman: Radical Life Extension in the Quest For Immortality – video included (potentnews.com)
- #9: 5 ways Augmented Reality will make us Transhuman (ieet.org)