Happy Thanksgiving!

Today in the US is Thanksgiving Day.  If you’re somewhere where this is being celebrated, I hope you have a great holiday.  If you’re somewhere where it’s not being celebrated, have a great Thursday.

As someone who isn’t inclined to gratitude toward an apparently uncaring universe, my thanks tend to go to friends, family, and colleagues who make my life better.  I very much include my online friends in that circle, who enrich my life substantially.  Thank you!

Now if you’ll excuse me, I must journey to where I will indulge in hedonistic overeating, followed by a likely collapse into unconsciousness while everyone else watches football.

This entry was posted in Zeitgeist. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Happy Thanksgiving!

1. Hariod Brawn says:

Don’t forget to offer a sheaf of corn to the Gods before you doze off Mike.

2. Steve Morris says:

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

3. makagutu says:

Go have fun my friend.
    Happy holiday.

4. ratamacue0 says:

About the uncaring universe bit… Yeah, I often feel thankful or grateful for various circumstances in my life or abilities or whatever, and I wonder if such “gratitude” makes sense without a target. It’s kind of confusing. What are helpful and honest attitudes about such things? How “should” we feel? (As much as that may or may not make sense as a question.)

I’m interested in anyone’s thoughts. 🙂

And happy Thanksgiving.

• I think it’s very much a philosophical decision. I feel grateful to people, whether it be people who’ve personally helped me or my friends and family, people who have put forth a lot of effort to improve the human condition, or just people doing a good job to keep things running well.

Despite what I said in the post, I actually have no problem expressing generic gratitude without specifying all of those people every time. Of course, without that specification, some people may read into such a statement their own religious or philosophical beliefs, but always adding qualifications to prevent that is too tedious, at least for me.

5. libraues says:

I’ve enjoyed your work. Thank you for your studious insights.

6. amanimal says:

Happy Thanksgiving/Thursday – we traveled(not too far), ate good food and caught up with family – home again now, had a snack … and now I’m going to sleep 🙂 Hope you enjoyed yours!